Monday, April 25, 2016

Weekly Report 9

This is by far one of my favourite weekly reports to write and this is because of my 20 years on earth I did not know that half of the people I listen to and watch on TV are of Arab descent.

To my surprise I found out that Vine Vaughn and Shakira both had Lebanese descent. Today I will only be writing about Shakira :).

Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll was born on February 2, 1977 in Colombia. Shakira's paternal grandparents migrated from Lebanon to New York City. Shakira's father was born in the USA and when he was around the age of 5, his family moved to Colombia. The word "Shakira", is actually an Arabic feminine version of "Shakir" which means "grateful". When Shakira was four years old, her father took her to a local Middle Eastern restaurant where she first heard the doumbek (a traditional Arab drum) played for the first time. Little Shakira started dancing on the table after hearing the drum play, from that moment she realized her love to perform. 

You can see how Shakira embraces her Arab side in her music video when she dances.

No comments:

Post a Comment