Sunday, May 1, 2016

Suheir Hammad

Suheir Hammad

Suheir Hammad is an Arab-American poet, political activist, author and performer. She was born to Palestinian parents in October 25th, 1973 in Amman Jordan. When Suheir was five years old, her parents immigrated to New York. Suheir Hammad’s work has appeared in over a dozen anthologies and numerous publications.I find Suheir Hammad to be
very interesting because of her book “Born Palestinian, Born Black & the Gaza Suite”. In this book she writes about culture, consciousness and also conflict.
There is one poem by Suheir that I find to be very touching and inspirational. This is the poem she wrote after the 9/11 terror attacks. To sum up the poem, she was talking about how she was disappointed that her “brothers” were the ones who committed the crimes. There is one line in the poem that I found astounding, when she said

on my block, a woman was crying in a car parked and stranded in hurt.
i offered comfort, extended a hand she did not see before she said,
"we're gonna burn them so bad, i swear, so bad." my hand went to my
head and my head went to the numbers within it of the dead iraqi
children, the dead in nicaragua. the dead in rwanda who had to vie
with fake sport wrestling for america's attention.
yet when people sent emails saying, this was bound to happen, lets
not forget u.s. transgressions, for half a second i felt resentful.
hold up with that, cause i live here, these are my friends and fam,
and it could have been me in those buildings, and we're not bad
people, do not support america's bullying. can i just have a half
second to feel bad?

I have put a link to the video of her reciting the poem. Hope you enjoy



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fhWX2F6G7Y













Links

https://electronicintifada.net/content/interview-suheir-hammad/60

No comments:

Post a Comment